Subject: Re: more than before :)
To: Support <support@idsi.net>
From: Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/18/2001 21:32:59
On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 08:21:46PM -0400, Support (support@idsi.net) wrote:
> Ok, I've gotten the owfboot.net to load.  and I get this..
>
> ok boot net
> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision
>  >> (martin@setting-sun.duskware.de, Fri May 18 08:09:34 CST 2001)
> Using BOOTPARAMS protocol: ip address 192.168.1.10bootparamd: 'whoami'
> call failed
> bootp: no reply
> Using BOOTP protocol: ip address: 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0
> root addr=0.0.0.0 path=/
> Fast Data Access MMU Miss
> ok

Good job, that's exactly where I was getting killed before (a few
months ago that is).

I suggest setting up the bootparams daemon... the NetBSD
networks/netboot documentation discusses how to use bootparams.
Don't touch BOOTP, you don't need that and that's not bootparams.
See here:

http://www.NetBSD.org/Documentation/network/netboot/intro.sun.html

which states:

     Get /usr/mdec/boot.net from base.tgz in the NetBSD
     distribution. This is what is sent by TFTP. Copy this file
     to an appropriately named file in /tftpboot, as described
     above in the Naming the boot loader section.

	1. rarp
	2. bootparams
	3. tftpd
	4. nfs
	5. client filesystem
	6. finishing up

If you follow these instructions, and it appears you have the
rarp and tftp parts setup correctly; you'll be able to boot.

What you're seeing is really the boot loader, not the kernel.  If
you're installing on that system, I suggest not bothering with
step #6.  I also suggest putting /usr under / to simplify
matters.  Be sure to put the sets on the nfs partition so the
install scripts can find it.. and so on.

You'll undoubtedly run into more problems later but this should
get you a bit further.

BTW, ofwboot.net is fine, you don't need boot.net.

--
wca