Subject: Re: Off Topic/Sun Hardware recommendations
To: None <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu, port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/03/2001 21:44:23
	   We are going to be populating a 25 seat CS lab.  Initially I was
	thinking of doing 25 PCs with 1.xGHz processors...
	   Sun has a matching grant which allows one to purchase Sun Rays,
	Sun Blades, Sun Ultras.
	   The Sun rays appear to be X-Terminals and I would like to have more
	compute power for typical activities in CS lab.
	   The Sun Blade100 appears to have 500MHz sparc IIe processor.  It seems
	reasonable.

The Blade 100 retails for just under $1000.  I think that's w/o the
monitor.

	   They also offer Sun Ultra 5, 10, 60 and 80.

I think U5s are available >$2000.  But you really need to contact
your sales rep.

	   I figure you can get a reasonable PC with 19" monitor for 2k.

	   I'm open for suggestions on what hardware would be best and still be
	reasonably priced.

NetBSD does run on U5s and U10s, but X11 is only supported on `cgsix'
cards which are SBus only.  So running NetBSD on them as desktop machines
is probably not a good idea.

Eduardo