Subject: Re: pkg_add broken on 1.5 release?
To: None <dave.capella@cornell.edu, eeh@netbsd.org>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/19/2001 04:30:17
	>	I successfully brought up an Ultra1, but can't install any
	>	packages. make complains that I need to cd to ../../pkg_install
	k	and run make.

	>That's because your pkgsrc is newer than your pkg_install.

	hm, I was trying to simply install binary packages, but another
	look at the ftp site, and it seems that I must've grabbed src
	packages, instead.

There are no pre-compiled packages for sparc64.  At the moment it's
still a case of having to compile your own.

	>	Sorry, I'm not at work, so don't remember the exact error - something
	>	like: I have pkg_install-20010302 but need pkg_install-20010306.
	>	Problem is, I tried to upgrade, now have  pkg_install-20010307, and
	>	the same error messages.
	>
	>How did you upgrade?

	Quite frankly, at this point, I'm not sure. It would be simple to
	rebuild everything, I think. The boxes are net-booting; just have
	to get the linux server to cooperate on nfs, and I do have an
	external drive that will at least boot the boxes...

	Should I simply get the source for pkg_install and rebuild? If so,
	could you point me at a url?

You should down load pkgsrc and build from there.  Only about half the
packages build on sparc64, and some of those don't run or have to be
hand-tweaked.  This is primarily due to compiler issues (C++ just doesn't
work right) and sources that aren't really 64-bit clean.

Eduardo