Subject: Re: Bootable port-sparc64 CD-ROM image?
To: None <bcook@idsi.net>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/19/2001 00:06:38
	So it's still true that the only way to install NetBSD on an UltraSparc
	is to either have Solaris installed, tftp boot, and floppies? Other than
	that there is no way to install it?

Not quite.  I don't think floppies will work.  And you don't need Solaris
installed.  You can boot the CD, set up the networking and slurp everything
over the net.

	the miniroot CD hasn't been updated yet?

No.

	So if you don't have solaris you can't setup the tftp boot parameters?
	or can that be done without solaris? Would it be (from the ok prompt)
	boot tftp and provided you had a tftp server running on say a freebsd
	box you would just have to make the correct symlinks and it should work?

You need to set up a bootp (or dhcp server) and a tftp server.  Get the
MAC address from the prom.  Then just `boot net' should work.

	That's (about) what I've been trying to do, and not having much luck.  I
	have an Ultra10 opb 3.25 and looking to install NetBSD 1.5.  Was 1.4.2
	any better? or is 1.5 the 'first' release of sparc64 that 'works'?

1.5 is the first release that supports sparc64, but even that is not
particularly good.  I recommend a -current snapshot, at least for the
kernel.

Eduardo