Subject: Re: Success with 1.5U
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/12/2001 00:35:10
>>> Hm.  That's not fixed yet?  Damn.  I need to rewrite the bootpath code
>>> from scratch one of these days.  And I will too, if I ever get another
>>> machine that has that problem.
>
>> What's not fixed yet?  The root/swap/fs questions?  That only seems to
>> work if I build a custom kernel with them hardwired; all the test GENERIC
>> kernels always ask.
>
> The kernel should be able to determine the device it booted from, and
> unless you specified the `-a' option automatically use that for root
> and swap.  This works right on SBus machines and IDE disks, but the
> kernel is unable to identify SCSI disks on PCI contollers.

>> The "hme0: invalid packet size 2048; dropping" problem, though, is another
>> kettle of fish.  Right now I'm copying a new /emul/svr4 setup over from
>> a Solaris 7 system (poll: which is the best Solaris release to use the
>> libraries from, so that compat_svr4 will work best?  2.6?  7?).  I'm doing
>> the "tar -cf - | rsh netbsdsystem 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/lib ; tar -xpBf -'"
>> step now, and I'm getting a GAJILLION of those "invalid packet size" errors.
>> I never see them when the Ultra 5+ is booted as a Solaris 7 AutoClient.
>> I think NetBSD really is seeing them as 2048-byte packets when they're
>> really not ...
>
> I have tested it with Solaris 2.6 and 2.8.

Is one preferable to the other?  I have easy access to 2.6 libraries ... but
not 8.

>> Otherwise, though, I'm a happy camper - if this new /emul/svr4 tree will make
>> Acrobat Reader 4 for Solaris run without core dumping like it has been, I'll
>> be even happier  :-)
>
> Acrobat is a 32-bit application so you will need to use /emul/svr4_32.

So I should just rename /emul/svr4 to /emul/svr4_32 and populate it with
Solaris 2.6 libraries and thus not have to worry about having a populated
/emul/svr4?

(Unfortunately, I've since rebooted into 1.5 again - the system locked up
 and got itself into a pingable-only state, I could telnet and connect but
 never get a prompt - and my existing windows were locked up.  Oops.)

	- Greg