Subject: Re: Success with 1.5U
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/11/2001 19:07:20
> The "hme0: invalid packet size 2048; dropping" problem, though, is another
> kettle of fish.  Right now I'm copying a new /emul/svr4 setup over from
> a Solaris 7 system (poll: which is the best Solaris release to use the
> libraries from, so that compat_svr4 will work best?  2.6?  7?).  I'm
> doing the "tar -cf - | rsh netbsdsystem 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/lib ; tar -xpBf -'"
> step now, and I'm getting a GAJILLION of those "invalid packet size" errors.
> I never see them when the Ultra 5+ is booted as a Solaris 7 AutoClient.
> I think NetBSD really is seeing them as 2048-byte packets when they're really
> not ...
>
> Otherwise, though, I'm a happy camper - if this new /emul/svr4 tree will make
> Acrobat Reader 4 for Solaris run without core dumping like it has been, I'll
> be even happier  :-)

Spoke too soon.  My "rsh"/"tar" combo hung out to dry, maybe because of all
the "invalid packet size" errors; but what's worse is that the console has
gone all wonky on me keyboard-wise - lots of repeating keys, or missed keys,
and general weirdness that wasn't in 1.5.  (like hitting characters but having
it spit out previously-typed characters that were typed before, like, uh,
a root password)

And of course all the "hme0: invalid packet size 2048; dropping" messages
spewing on the console are slowing file transfers to a crawl ...

(There's also occasional interspersed status messages like

hme0: status=10021<GOTFRAME,RFIFOVF,RXTOHOST>
hme0: status=10121<GOTFRAME,RFIFOVF,SENTFRAME,RXTOHOST>

Never seen that "RTIFOVF" flag before.)

Thanks,

	- Greg