Subject: Re: Sun Blade 100 support?
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/27/2001 13:38:52
What a piece of crap this thing is.

First off, there's the FUD of the name.  A "Sun Blade[tm] Model <anything>"
machine should be an UltraSPARC III-based machine, whereas this one is
really just a speed-bumped Ultra 5+ in disguise (500 MHz UltraSPARC IIe-based).

And ... woo hoo!  ATI Mach64-based Rage II+ equivalent graphics in 2001!
A whole 8 Mbytes of video SGRAM!  I can drive a monitor in 24-bit color up to
a whole *1280x1024* pixels!  Wowee!  And that *huge* 2x15 Gbyte disk storage
capacity!  30 whole Gigabytes!  Man, that sure is a lot of storage, yessiree!
What year *is* this, anyway?

(And 4 USB ports?  Who the f@ck uses/needs more than 2 USB ports?  Two words,
 Sun: "USB hub")

Why does this thing come with a floppy disk?!?  What a waste of internal space.

Sun is playing catch-up, and they haven't got a prayer.

(Damn, I sure am cynical for a former (5 year) Sun employee, aren't I?  (-: )

	- Greg