Subject: Re: Optimizer bug in NetBSD/SPARC64 1.5?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG, port-sparc64@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/15/2001 09:29:58
> awk is known to have problems.  We are building it with --fquad-soft-float
> to work around them.  But I don't completely trust awk to work right.

The 1.5 "awk" wasn't built that way, thus my problems.  (You meant
"-msoft-quad-float", I assume.)

> There are some issues with floating point printing and conversion
> in older versions of libc.

So I have a stable OS (1.5) but an unstable libc?   Eeek  :-)

> Are you running the latest snapshot or 1.5?  Works for me:
>
> nonplus.netbsd.org:/bsd/src/lib/libc/arch/sparc64: echo foo | awk 'END \
> { printf("%d\n", 1) ; }'
> 1
> nonplus.netbsd.org:/bsd/src/lib/libc/arch/sparc64:

I just built & installed a -current "(g)awk" to try and fix the problem.

Next problem I ran into was the "m4-1.4" package; that also had a few
references to doubles and had to be "-msoft-quad-float"'ed as well to work.

> I'm running what I packaged up as the 20010114 snapshot.

I tried the kernel from that snapshot, and ran into the heinous SCSI problems
I described before, so I ran screaming back to 1.5.  Other than these odd
compiling problems and the occasional drop down into ddb, it's been pretty
stable.

Meanwhile, I'm taking this discussion to port-sparc64 where it belongs.
I've set followups to that list.  Sorry for all the noise folks ...

	- Greg