Subject: Re: E250 support?
To: None <martin@duskware.de, mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/08/2001 17:22:34
	> ps: there is another issue i've noticed looking at this problem.  the
	> onboard `hme' probes as `hme1' on the e250 because of the hard coded
	> hme0 for the U5/U10 onboard.  perhaps the right solution would be to
	> force the two simba busses on the U5/U10 (US-IIi) port to be numbered
	> the other way?  then everyone would have the onboard hme on pci1.

	While that would be possible (and probably no bad idea just for the cosmetic
	value) I wonder why that hardcoded entry is there at all - in an U5/U10 in
	default configuration the on-board hme would show up as hme0 anyway if that
	entry would simply be deleted, or am I missing something?

The problem is that simba's are wired so the first bus is
used for PCI slots and the second bus is used for on-board
devices.  Our PCI code probes buses in order, so the
PCI slots are probed before the on-board devices.

The real solution to the problem would be to change
our PCI probe code to use the PROM device tree rather
than PCI config space to probe devices.  That would
also solve our interrupt remapping problem, and
resolve the need to scan the device tree multiple
times to hunt for specific devices.

Eduardo