Subject: re: Can't boot 1.5 on Ultra10
To: Steven E Lumos <slumos@sam.ISRI.UNLV.EDU>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/18/2000 14:07:53

   I'm wishing to install 1.5 on an approx. 1.5 year old Ultra10.  After
   copying the 1.5 ramdisk.fs onto the swap slice and booting I get
   messages like:

   pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt
           type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0
   [3 more of these]
   wd0c: device timeout reading fsbn: (wd0 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0), retrying

   After some interations of that, it eventually gets to:

   wd0: disk label read error
   mountroot: trying msdos...
   mountroot: trying cd9660...
   mountroot: trying lfs...
   mountroot: trying nfs...
   mountroot: trying ffs...
   no file system for wd0 (dev 0xc01)
   cannot mount root, error = 79

   My intention was to use this machine for a Kerberos server because I
   was thinking that 1.5 was there w.r.t. the Ultra10.  Please stop me if
   it's not there yet. :-)

this problem occurs only on some IDE disks on the ultrasparcs, with netbsd.
the 4GB drive that came from sun can boot just fine from with netbsd:

wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <ST34321A>
wd0: drive supports 32-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd0: 4103 MB, 8894 cyl, 15 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 8404830 sectors
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)

but a newer 15GB drive has the same problem you are seeing... (i don't
appear to have a log with that disks' dmesg)

if you could install scsi disks and a glm controller, that should work
just fine.

.mrg.