Subject: Re: 1.5_ALPHA2 snapshot boots on Ultra5 - NVRAM HOST ID Reset
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: None <>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/03/2000 21:34:07
On 4 Oct 2000 eeh@netbsd.org wrote:

> This seems to be a problem with certain machines.  My theory is that it has to do
> with how the PROM allocates its mappings.  Seems that it maps in pages contiguously
> regardless of that they are, so data and device mappings (and worse, the stack) are
> all in the same area.  The kernel will also allocate I/O mappings in the same
> general area.

Okay, understood.  All part of running beta software.  Just not the type
of adverse affect we would expect.  Perhaps a note in the FAQ?  Or

> Newer kernels have some code changes to hopefully prevent this from happening:

Right.  Should I try an older snapshot and sync to current?

> 	The NVRAM is write-protected unless it's being updated
>
> 	The entire kernel has been relocated so as not to conflict with the PROM.
>
> 	(These changes have not made it to 1.5 yet).
>
> In the mean time, the NVRAM FAQ has instructions about recovering from a zapped
> NVRAM.

Understood.  Let me know if you need any testing done, or any other help
that you need (other than kernel hacking - that's not my forte).  I'm
anxious to see the project take off.  In the mean time, we're exercising
extreme amounts of patience!

--Brian