Subject: Serial Console on Ultra/5
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: None <>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/02/2000 23:10:59
Good evening everyone,

Anyone have any difficulty getting serial console on a generic Ultra5?  I
do this all the time at work, at least on the "server" model of the U/5.
VGA console without a keyboard attached sync's against the monitor, says
it cant find a in input device and is switching to ttya for input &
output, and then looses sync. (to be expected).  When I connect up a
generic serial cable to serial "A" (no i'm not connecting to the parallel
port), I get nothing.  Just using regular old Windows teraterm.

baud:	9600
data:	8
parity: none
stop:	1
flow:	none

I also tried hardware and software flow, for good measure.  As well as
some other lame windows terminals (SecureCRT, Hyperterinal).  I also tried
(out of desperation) using the SparcClassic serial port splitter cable -
authentic Sun one - nothing.

Before I go hauling this thing all over my house trying to tip into it
from another sparc, maybe someone has seen this before?  I'm thinking now
maybe I need to turn on local echo and set some OpenBoot variables.

Insight anyone?

Thanks,

--Brian