Subject: Re: booting from solaris
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
From: Andrei Petrov <and@genesyslab.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/10/2000 19:05:10
On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Eduardo Horvath wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Andrei Petrov wrote:
>
> > > I strongly recommend generating an /ofwboot and using that to load the
> > > kernel.  However, even with that there may be filesystem issues on newer
> > > versions of solaris.
> > I think it may destroy my solaris. What do you think?
> >
> > I saw the guy was able to netboot, so I'm trying to built ofwboot for
> > that purpose,
> > currently I lack crt0.o what kind of surprise me.
> >
> > Should standalone program have crt0? Is my environment screwd?
>
> Something is definitely wrong.  Standalone programs should supply their
> own crt0.  ofwboot has srt0.s instead.  You should not need a crt0 to
> compile ofwboot.

touch $DESTDIR/usr/lib/{crt0.o,crtbegin.o,crtend.o} did the trick
and I got ofwboot built, so somehow in *.mk there is a dependency from
those objs(they are not used in the build though).

Also I tried to boot 64bit kernel from ftp.netbsd.org using ufsboot,
no luck, the same Illegal Instruction. My attempts to check something
($r :s) kicked me back to firmware prompt.

Thank you, Eduardo for help,
	Andrey