Subject: Re: booting from solaris
To: Andrei Petrov <and@genesyslab.com>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/10/2000 14:11:04
On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Andrei Petrov wrote:

> I have ultra2 box with solaris 2.7 on it. I built gcc/binutils,
> than a sparc64 kernel, tried to boot it
> boot disk0:a /bsd/netbsd -as
> After that I got
> Illegal instruction
> and I'm back to openboot prompt.

Hm.  Interesting.

I presume it's at /bsd/netbsd ?  Is it a 32-bit or 64-bit kernel?

Using ufsboot used to work a while ago on 32-bit kernels.  It will not
work with 64-bit kernels on solaris <2.7.  I have not tested it on
anything newer so it may not work on 2.7 either.

You can try passing the `-vVdD' options to the bootloader to see more
diagnostic information.  You can also try using kadb to load the kernel to
verify the ELF format.

I strongly recommend generating an /ofwboot and using that to load the
kernel.  However, even with that there may be filesystem issues on newer
versions of solaris.

Eduardo Horvath