Subject: Re: sparc64 snapshot
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
From: David O'Brien <obrien@NUXI.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/17/2000 11:06:19
On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 07:33:54AM -0700, Eduardo Horvath wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, David O'Brien wrote:
> sparc64 describes 64-bit SPARC binaries.  sparc describes 32-bit SPARC
> binaries.

I view "sparc64" as the platform.  I guess that was the wrong terminology
for NetBSD.

> The recommended way is to use a NetBSD/sparc userland with a
> NetBSD/sparc64 32-bit kernel.  That's the most stable combination.

Yes.  But doing even this is harder than it needs to be.  I spent 3 hours
trying to do this, including hitting the "Memory Address not Aligned"
problem that was reported in April.  You replied you were working on that
problem, but I could not find updated bits anywhere.  Also you've got two
32-bit sun4u kernel's -- 1.4U and 1.4X.  Both are dated mid-April.  There
is a sparc snapshot from mid April, but is that 1.4U or 1.4X, or even
something else?  The sparc miniroot seems useless on a sun4u(U1).  I
tried two sets of installation approaches people posted in April, neither
has been successful for me.  Installing NetBSD on sparc(sun4m), pmax, and
VAX hasn't been this hard.

Would it be possible to put a sun4u-32bit snapshot together that is
consistent with itself?

Should a term be created for sun4u-32bit and sun4u-64bit so it is clear
what someone is referring to?

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)