Subject: Re: booting from ultra1
To: Jonathan O'Brien <obrien@hulk.sfsu.edu>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/18/2000 12:35:41
On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Jonathan O'Brien wrote:

> I'd like to install netbsd onto an ultra1 E. It's my understanding
> that the fas chip isn't supported, so can I use an esp based card
> and boot off that instead?
>
> If so...will these boot strap proceedures work:
>
> 	1. boot solaris
> 	2. format and newfs target disk on esp controller
> 	3. install netbsd bootblk in arch/kernels/1.4U using solaris
> 	   installboot.
> 	4. cp arch/kernels/1.4U(or X) netbsd and ofwboot to target disk's root
> 	5. dd miniroot.fs from current sparc snapshot to target disk's swap

If you've already done 2-4, there's no need for the miniroot step.  The
miniroot is needed only if you feel the need to partition and newfs your
disk from NetBSD.  (If you use Solaris to partition and newfs then you
will be able to mount the NetBSD stuff [read-only please] from
Solaris.  Otherwise Solaris will not recognize the partitions.)

Just mount the new root partition and untar the snapshot onto it.

> 	6. halt solaris and boot target_disk /ofwboot -as

Actually, if the NetBSD bootblock, ofwboot and kernel are installed all
you need to do (from Solaris) is `reboot -- target_disk'.

> 	7. fill in the blanks and install the sparc snapshot.

Configure /etc and reboot.

Eduardo Horvath

NOTE:  I have not tested booting on a U1E.  If the PROM device tree is
different then some modification to config files and/or drivers may be
requred.