Re: separate boot partition - some doubts

On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 10:45:09AM +0200, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> the boot partition should be able to contain only the kernel? kernel
> modules?

I always put /rescue there as well.

> I would guess only a kernel and one or two back up kernels (e.g. for tests
> and an install kernel?)
>
> What should be the mount point: /boot ?

I use either /boot or /ofw for it (but it does not matter much).
Also I usuall mark it "noauto" in /etc/fstab.

> Will the netbsd installer recognize it and install the kernel there or will
> it put in / and then needs to be manually moved?

The installer does currently not support this automatically, but it is on the
list of things to add.

What I typically use is: mount everything involved (see above, I mostly have
the boot partition not mounted) after manually updating the kernel,
then select upgrade and pick "current running system" as target.

For the "manual" kernel update I use a simple script that mounts the
boot partition, moves old kernels (both in / and /boot) to their backup
name and copies the new kernel to both locations.

Martin