Re: Type 6/7 "UNIX" keyboards

Hi Uwe,

> The Type 6 one and the other Type 7 one have "Unix" layout:
>
>   https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/817-2521/new-311/index.html#new-fig-349
>
> There are no dip switches.  The Type 6 is easy to open, I don't see
> jumpers on the board either.  Type 7 looks more tightly built and I
> don't really want to pry it open (I'm all thumbs) most likely for
> nothing.
>
> I gather it's impossible to change their layout except at the
> driver/xkb level.  Could someone with experience confirm that?  TIA.

I opened a type 7 keyboard (UK layout with dip switches).  It was relatively
easy to open the case - take out the 2 screws in the corners and carefully
work along the top and then the sides to release the lugs.  The key moulding
was slightly harder - remove some of the keys to reach the lugs there.  In
the end, with the circuit board exposed, there are only the dip switches
which can be reached from the back.  I don't have a "Unix" layout keyboard
to open.

I assume that you'll need to change the layout in software.

Regards,

Julian