Re: NetBSD 8.0 Installer Boots to White on White Screen on SS 1

On 1/12/19 9:15 AM, Henry Bent wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 at 14:09, Brian Buhrow <buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost <mailto:buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost>> wrote:

             hello.  I think robert is right.  Even though you have the
    target of
    the disk set to 0, the ROM wants you to use 3 as the target number.  So,
    you'd use:
    boot sd(0,3,0)
    or
    boot sd(0,3,0) netbsd

That did it.  I guess Sun really, really wanted your boot disk to be SCSI ID 3.  Thanks!

All in the name of backwards compatibility, I'm afraid.

In the beginning, there was the Sun 3/xx line of computers. The big ones didn't use SCSI, but the desktop units did use SCSI. The desktop units were popular, and most the drives that were attached (there were no internal drives) used SCSI id 0.

Then Sun introduced their external SCSI disk and tape drive combo box. Sometimes called the "hatbox". That most often had a scsi drive at ID #0, and a tape drive at ID #4.

When the Sparc machines were released, they made the internal scsi bay be ID#3, so anybody who plugged in a 'hatbox' wouldn't have an immediate conflict with scsi devices IDs.

I think this changed by the time the Ultra series of machines (ie, sparc64) was released. Things were back to a sane default of ID #0 for the first internal drive...

-Kurt