Re: Problem installing NetBSD 7.1.1 on my SparcStation 5

Unfortunately I can't find the MAKEDEV script in base.tgz.

[root@soqc1-jumpstart1 ~]$ /usr/sfw/bin/wget ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-7.1.1/sparc/binary/sets/base.tgz
--2018-01-16 21:28:45--  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-7.1.1/sparc/binary/sets/base.tgz
[root@soqc1-jumpstart1 ~]$ gunzip base.tgz
[root@soqc1-jumpstart1 ~]$ tar -tvf base.tar | egrep "MAKEDEV|./dev/" | grep -v /usr/include
lrwxr-xr-x   0/0       12 Dec 22 21:56 2017 ./dev/log symbolic link to /var/run/log
drwxr-xr-x   0/0        0 Dec 22 21:37 2017 ./dev/altq
drwxr-xr-x   0/0        0 Dec 22 21:37 2017 ./dev/fd

So I copied it from another working NetBSD server and netbooted the SS5 with the NFS Share on Solaris. It kind of worked and not. I mean I didn't see the "File too big" error when doing a "ls -lh /dev" but I started to see "sh: can't access tty: job control truned off" when starting a shell and when I try to install it fails with "I can't find any hard disk for use by NetBSD. You will be returned to the original menu"

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 5:27 PM, Brett Lymn <brett.lymn%baesystems.com@localhost> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 08:27:18AM -0500, Julien Savard wrote:

> It seems there might be something not working between Solaris NFS Shares
> and NetBSD /dev in rootfs.tgz or it might also be the Solaris "tar" instead
> of the GNU tar ( just tought of that one ) not extracting the /dev as it
> should.

Just for the record (and in case you were not aware) there is a gnu tar
binary in /usr/sfw/bin/gtar on a standard solaris 10 install.

--
Brett Lymn
This email has been sent on behalf of one of the following companies within the BAE Systems Australia group of companies:

    BAE Systems Australia Limited - Australian Company Number 008 423 005
    BAE Systems Australia Defence Pty Limited - Australian Company Number 006 870 846
    BAE Systems Australia Logistics Pty Limited - Australian Company Number 086 228 864

Our registered office is Evans Building, Taranaki Road, Edinburgh Parks,
Edinburgh, South Australia, 5111. If the identity of the sending company is
not clear from the content of this email please contact the sender.

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and legally
privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not copy or
disclose its content, but please reply to this email immediately and highlight
the error to the sender and then immediately delete the message.