SPARCstation 330 diskless

Hello all,

I just tried to install NetBSD on a diskless SPARCstation 330 (or rather, one with a dead drive apparently). Using type 4 keyboard & mouse and a VME cgsix, 32 MiB RAM.

1) The boot.net file would not load the kernel, it always failed with something like "illegal instruction 0x00000000 at PC 0x00000004". I had to rely on the boot.net from 2.1 to get a kernel to load (also tried 5.1.5 and 3.1.1)

2) The kernel from 6.1.5 claims it failed to reset the keyboard, which subsequently doesn't work anymore. If I just set rc_configured to YES to bypass the single-user shell, it doesn't find the NFS server (could be some missing /dev entries, since I can't run MAKEDEV)

3) 5.1.5 seems to work OK :-) At least, it booted, gave me the single user shell, ran MAKEDEV, rebooted, apparently everything OK.

Right now it's trying to reboot with SSH enabled, but generating the keys takes forever (no surprise).

It's big, it's ugly, the wheels are broken, it's excruciatingly slow, it's awfully noisy, but in 5.1.5 it works :-)

So big thanks to all the developers :-)

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau