re: SparcStation IPC: Data Access Exception

Riccardo Mottola writes:
> Hi,
>
> Martin Husemann wrote:
> > There was a recent discussion that newer bootblocks apparently do not work
> > with some older firmware versions - AFAIR this is not completely analyzed
> > yet.
> I see. If I can give some further information, just ask.
>
> Can I "downgrade" somehow my bootblocks?
>
> I should have a small spare hard disk, I could do a minimal NetBSD 4
> installation for example and compare. Could that be useful? How old
> should I go?

i've placed a series of /boot programs from several points between
netbsd-3 and netbsd-4 here:

	ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/misc/mrg/sparc-boot/

(we're pretty sure from previous testing that the problem was
introduced between netbsd 3.x and 4.x.)

the first of these should work for you.  you'll have to re-run
installboot(8) after copying the new /boot into place.  (i'm
fairly sure you could actually copy them all into place, and
then just run eg:

# installboot /dev/rsd0c /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot.388000-2005-02-26

to enable it.

anyone else willing to test these with their problematic systems
is most welcome to.  once we know which version breaks, we should
be able to figure out a fix.

thanks!

.mrg.