Re: Making a partition bootable (SS10)

On Nov 5, 12:43am, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
} Mouse wrote:
} > I think the kernel also has to be within the ROM-readable part too.  If
} > you cp the kernel into / (as opposed to mving it, if you build your
} > kernels on that filesystem), it will often wind up entirely in cg 0 and
} > thus below the 1G mark, but this is a risky thing to depend on.
} That is what has bitten me in the past!
} >> >  Another approach is to make a separate / partition, and then swap and
} >> >  /usr.
} > Or a separate boot partition, with / elsewhere, typically with a kernel
} > configured "config root on" the actual / partition.
} so do I need to configure things specially?
} Let me explain:
} I have:
} sd0a : boot
} sd0b : swap
} sd0c : "disk"
} sd0d : /
}
} I run installboot onto rds0a (although I think it is similar to rsd0c I
} suppose, being the first)
}
} the kernel "boots" but then stops with:
}
} warning: no /dev/console
} exec /sbin/error 2
} init: trying /sbin/oinit

     At this point, the kernel is loaded and running.

} and a load of other errors up to a panic.
}
} Is it that now the kernel is trying to boot from "sd0a" as root, while I
} want it to use sd0d ?

     It's trying to find /sbin/init, but can't.  It defaults to
using the filesystem from which it was loaded as the root filesystem.

} How do I achieve this? you mention configure root. How?

     You build a kernel, or you do boot -a and tell it where the
root filesystem is.  To build a kernel, see:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-tuning.html#tuning-kernel .

}-- End of excerpt from Riccardo Mottola