Making a partition bootable (SS10)

Hi,

after a long hiatus, I'm back to upgrade my NetBSD sparc stuff, so that I can test software on it and make it sure that it works on the mighty platform.

I am performing a fresh install NetBSD 4 (*) on a disk. Since previously I had problems that the SS10 would not boot a new kernel because it laid beyond addressing, I thought of making a small boot partition.

I have thus a root partition and a small 20MB root partition which I put at the beginning of the disk.

I installed regularly, everything in / and the system boots. However it is booting from the big partition.

What is the "boot" file? at first, I was about to mount my boot partition into /boot as used on linux, but that would have been a problem.

I tried to copy "netbsd" and "boot" into the other partition and boot from it, but it doesn't work. Fdisk writes the boot sectors on a "whole disk".

Thanks
Riccardo

(*) from what I can read, all subsequent releases do not support SMP, not 6.15 and i see nothing about it for the 7 and I need it for my tests. STill an upgrade compared to 2.02 :)