Re: /etc/disktab on vax

> Shall NetBSD just decide to be a commercially-targeted OS that only
> cares about what is new and shiny?

I thought it already had.  (Oh, it's willing to tolerate the hangers-on
provided they don't get in the way of the real mission, but that's
about it as far as I can tell.)

They did call it "industrially relevant" rather than
"commercially-targeted" and "modern hardware" rather than "new and
shiny", but I have trouble seeing differences.

> Speaking as a proud and happy NetBSD user since v0.9 almost two
> decades ago, I feel that I can reasonably assert that this has NEVER
> been what NetBSD is about.

Until relatively recently I would have agreed with you. :(

> Loss of functionality is not "evolution".

Agreed...though it can be part of evolution.  NetBSD has been losing
functionality regularly throughout at least that part of its history
I've been around for.  Examples include dropping support for sgtty,
dropping support for the 80386, and each new release including a more
bloated gcc than the last (rendering more and more machines incapable
of self-hosting).

No, I don't like it either.  But to say it hasn't been happening is, at
best, being blind to history.

\ / Ribbon Campaign