Re: SPARC build failing with boot.fs overflow

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:43:06AM +0200, Andreas Gustafsson wrote:
> Looks like this was triggered by joerg's "P1003_1B_SEMAPHORE is no
> longer optional" commits on March 10:
>

> http://releng.NetBSD.org/b5reports/sparc/commits-2012.03.html#2012.03.10.21.51.48

Doesn't realy matter in this case what triggered it, the install kernel is
already seriously cripled (i.e. does not even have INET6) - we need to fix
this properly.

I would suggest to create a special "small" install kernel (for
machines with very few memory) and also use ustarfs for multiple
floppies (but with the memory constraints, there still is not much
room). Then uncripple the install kernel used one on CDs so we can
download sets via IPv6, or straight go the GENERIC with / on cd0a route
for CDs.

Yet another option is to drop install floppies completely. I haven't seen
a working drive in years (besides a strange USB connected floppy drive last
year).
(Duck...)

Martin