Re: Relabel disk?

>>> 0: 1st-stage boot
>>> 1: disklabel
>>> 2-15: 2nd-stage boot
>>> 16-N: filesystem

>> This does not sound right, and checking reveals that it is not how
>> the disk is laid out on my IPX.

> I think my confusion is:

>   how you described it is how sparc and other 'real computers' :-) work

>   what i described might be right for i386

Possibly.  It doesn't look quite right for i386 (the disklabel usually
ends up at sector 63 in my experience, for example), but I don't know
the i386's boot sequence nearly as well as I do the SPARC's.

> So does the prom load sector 1, or sector 0, which has a load/jump of
> sector 1 plus a disklabel, or ??

On SPARC?  AIUI, the ROM code loads the label, looks up the boot
partition (all the ways of booting specify a partition, usually by
default), loads the beginning of that partition (skipping sector 0 in
case the partition begins at the beginning of the drive), and jumps to
it.  I don't recall what controls how much of the partition is loaded;
it may be fixed or it may be somewhere in the first sector or some
such.  Someone else probaby knows...?

\ / Ribbon Campaign