re: LVM

> On 11/19/2011 13:45, AGC wrote:
> > On a generic system, where do I find the LVM module? modstat shows
> > nothing loaded and modload dm says "module object must end in .o". I
> > want to try and merge two disks together so I can do the system update.
> >

> Related to this, I can't seem to delete the disklabels from the two disks:
>
> > 8 partitions:
> > #        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
> >  c:   4154160         0        ccd                     # (Cyl.      0 -
> > 2732)
> >  f:   2310400         0     4.2BSD   1024  8192    16  # (Cyl.      0 -
> > 1519)
> >  h:   1843760   2310400     4.2BSD   1024  8192    16  # (Cyl.   1520 -
> > 2732)
> > disklabel: partitions c and f overlap
> > disklabel: partitions c and h overlap
>
> > 8 partitions:
> > #        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
> >  a:   4194828         0     4.2BSD   1024  8192    16  # (Cyl.      0 -
> > 3530+)
> >  c:   4194995         0    unknown                     # (Cyl.      0 -
> > 3531+)
> > disklabel: partition a: partition extends past end of unit
> > disklabel: partitions a and c overlap
> > disklabel: partition c: partition extends past end of unit
>
> I've tried disklabel -D:
>
> > # disklabel -D -v sd1
> > disklabel: Invalid signature in mbr record 0
> > # disklabel -D -v sd2
> > disklabel: Invalid signature in mbr record 0

huh.  i never heard of disklabel -D.  it probably should be marked
as not being relevant on sparc in the manual, or disabled, since
it "implies -r" and netbsd/sparc doesn't really support that one
either (at least not if you want to talk to the prom.)

> I've tried the suggested dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd1c bs=8k count=1
> with no success.

try "disklabel -W sd1" and sd2, and then the above dd.  i am
guessing that the label protection is set.

> There's nothing on the two disks that I need so I'm just trying to wipe
> them and start over so I can merge them into a single volume.  They're
> not huge (only 2.1 GB each) but I figure 4.2 GB should be enough to
> store CVS and build the new userland?  The kernel sources are located on
> another disk right now and it seems to fit fine there.

FWIW, i recommend raidframe over LVM currently.  the latter is very
new and you'd be the first to try on sparc i guess.

   http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-rf.html

has a lot of info, though maybe

   http://wiki.netbsd.org/set-up_raidframe/

is a little simpler.  note that the instructions for eg, "fdisk"
should almost always be ignored on sparc, and the "installboot"
instructions may not be entirely correct... but i suspect you
don't care since you'd booting from sd0?  you should also ignore
the "raidctl -A root" instructions if so, but "-A yes" is good.

.mrg.