ntpd entered uninterruptible sleep

I sent a message over to the ntpd list about this and they seem to think it's a kernel issue.

Anyway, so it seemed the lockups of my IPX were showing up when ntpd was running in high priority mode. Last week I put its priority back to normal and attempted to break it again by polling it every five seconds.

Today I got my result, ntpd itself locked up but according to ps, its status was "uninterruptible sleep". This time, because the priority was normal, the entire machine didn't crash but the cpu was spinning wildly until I was able to kill and restart ntpd. I forgot to try and run a trace on it, but I'm sure it'll lock up again (ktrace -p <pid> does it correct)?

Any ideas why this would happen? I'm assuming that the lower priority prevented the locked up code from taking over the entire system. Everything else stayed running but ran very slowly (five seconds from keypress to character on screen) until ntpd was restarted.