re: SMP status ?

i've commited a change to -current that should work around this problem,
so any stability issues should be gone.  it's just a workaround but it is
worth updating to since it makes things mostly work, at least on my SS20.

it still has the problem, but doesn't crash now, and the "savefp null ipi"
event counters will slowly increase.

if you're adventurous, please try -current sources and apply this patch:

        http://www.netbsd.org/~mrg/sparc.kpreempt.diff

for me it's run for almost 2 hours without a problem reported.  i chose
the various points to add these new kpreempt_disable() calls by reviewing
what the x86 platform does for it.  it *probably* contains points where
preemption is disabled unnecessarily.

andy, can you have a look?  i really am not sure why this matters, but
it seems to really help.

.mrg.