Re: Re (6): installing NetBSD on a Sparcstation 2.

>> [I]f it's the usual problem (ROMs not knowing how to use 10-byte
>> CDBs), the limit is 1G, not 2G (small CDBs support block numbers
>> from 0 to 0x1fffff).
> The limit I saw for the SS2 running older PROM was 2GB for Solaris,
> which normally doesn't split out the kernel from the root filesystem.

Interesting.  I wonder whether there's some other limit I'm not aware
of, or the limit you saw was wrong, or what.

>> I've had machines with the limit which worked fine with huge
>> root-&-boot filesystems for a long time, until one day a new kernel
>> happened to use a block over the limit - kaboom.

One block over the line, sweet Jesus
One block over the line
Readin' the root to boot the system
One block over the line
Fetchin' filesystem blocks for the kernel
Hopin' that the blocks are fine
Readin' the root to boot the system
One block over the line

\ / Ribbon Campaign