re: upgrading from old 2.4.x to 5.0.x

   matthew green wrote:
   > plain GENERIC should work fine if the system has multiple CPUs.
   > if that fails, please file a PR or at least show some more info?
   >
   > anyone want to help look at the SMP problem?

        I would help you, but I don't known NetBSD internal enough... I have
   some SS20 with dual, quad RT626 and dual SM71.

this list can help you with questions :-)

        If I remember, last time I have tried to see where was main problem, it
   remains between cpu structs usage and allocation, but I haven't found
   any fix or workaround. I have tried to use static array instead of
   allocatable one without any success.

martin and i fixed the cpuinfo allocation issues a few months ago, and
those changes have been pulled upto netbsd-5.

it's been a long while since i've looked into this, but i recall that
the kernel eventually runs a bunch of kernel lwps on both CPUs and some
times manages to make it to single user mode.

something craps out then and processes stack becoming stuck on cpu1
and eventually the system hangs (tho DDB works.)

thanks!

.mrg.