console lockup on netbsd-5 (pre-wscons) GENERIC

macallan%NetBSD.org@localhost wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2009, at 8:11 PM, Bill Roman wrote:
>
> > I had NetBSD 4.0 running on my SS5 with no trouble, but I couldn't
> > resist trying a shiny new version.  5.0 installed and boots without
> > trouble, but it locks up shortly after I log in.
> >
> > The lockups seem to have to do with console output that includes long
> > lines (not necessarily exceeding the number of columns) and an
> > embedded
> > newline.  Usually the long line after the newline is truncated (but
> > its
> > terminating newline still scrolls), I get a shell prompt, and that's
> > it.
> > No panic, no messages of any sort, no response to anything but Stop-A.
> >
> > The machine is a pretty standard 170 MHz model, with a CG6 console.
>
> I have a machine like that, and I have several CG6, one of them in the
> SS20 - I have never seen this problem. There was a problem with the
> cg6 driver a while ago which would result in kernel memory being
> scribbled over during palette changes which would later on panic the
> machine but that has been fixed.
>
> Do you have a short and reliable way to reproduce this?

Can you try miniroot installation of 5.0.1? (it doesn't have wscons)

The hangup 100% reproducible on SS1+ with cgsix0 after
setting terminal type:

---
 :
root on sd0b dumps on sd0b
root file system type: ffs
erase ^H, werase ^W, kill ^U, intr ^C
If you are using a SUN type 4 keyboard, please enter "sun-type4".
Terminal type? [sun]
Erase is backspace.

This installer now uses the new `sysinst' installer tools by default.   To
     [* here the console gets mangled]
use tpgrade shell script instead, enter the options
(OI) for Old Install or (OU) for Old Upgrade.

The script-based installers may be removed in a future release.

---

This also happens on TME emulating SS2 with cgthree.
(captured screen is attached)

Some race around auto scroll by wraparound at bottom line?
---
Izumi Tsutsui

GIF image