Re: NetBSD 5.0 and SPARCstation 5 not a lucky combination

Michael wrote:
On Jul 29, 2009, at 11:44 PM, Jon Buller wrote:

And while on the subject of problems with the console, I saw this problem on my SS20s with either a cg6 or a cg14, and on my LX. But
 before I got that far I had to install a 4.0 system and upgrade it
to 5 to see the wscons/video problem, as I couldn't get 5 on the
machine any other way.

Hrm, I never saw it on any of my hardware but it's all running wscons
 which was kind of the point of getting it in the first place.

It seems that 5_rc or -current from that time has some real
difficulty with starting up something.  It appeared the either
/dev/kbd disappeared when login finished, or login was unable to
pass open file descriptors for stdin and stdout to the shell it
forked.

Any chance to check if this still happens with a wscons kernel?

Just checked. I did a cvs update this morning, and did a full -current/sparc release build. The miniroot.fs it generated seems to
be working fine.  Not that I did a full install with it, but I was
going through all the menus until I got to the parts that wrote
something out.  It's light-years ahead of the previous attempt with
5.0 or one of the later 5_RC builds.

Please get this pulled up ASAP, or we should update the install notes
to tell everyone not using a serial console how to custom build their
NetBSD-5/sparc install tools and kernels.  :)

Thanks,
Jon