Re: SS20/cg14 custom resolutions

Hello,

On Aug 8, 2008, at 12:37 PM, der Mouse wrote:

Of course, I also didn't go through all the ROM code.  [...]
Did you by any chance see anything that deals with the SX?  I'm
almost convinced that they use the SX for scrolling - if we can
figure out how to do that we're already half way to an accelerated
console and X11 driver.

I've been definitely aware of that potential.  I didn't look into it,
being too focused on getting custom resolutions working, but probably
will if I can find the round tuits for it - I'd very much like to know
how to accelerate the thing.  Even if it's only for screen-to-screen
blits, it would make for snappy scrolling, which would make cg14
console a _lot_ more usable.  I'm not sure they're using the blitter,
though; the console uses one of the 8bpp views of the framebuffer and I
suspect may be doing simple CPU-copy scrolling.  It certainly doesn't
scroll as fast as, say, the cg6 (which definitely does have a real
blitter, and scrolls very nicely as a result).

For kicks ( and SX-related headers ) I installed Solaris on my SS20 a while ago - X isn't exactly snappy, better than unaccelerated but not as quick as an AG-10e or a cg6. I wouldn't expect wonders from the SX but any help is welcome - CPUs should do other things than scrolling as far as I'm concerned.
The headers that came with Solaris aren't very useful though.

have fun
Michael