Re: Best release for an old SPARCclassic

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 03:51:49PM -0500, Eric Schnoebelen wrote:
> Michael Lorenz writes:
> - On May 12, 2008, at 15:46, Ganimede wrote:
> - I /think/ you can get it up to 96MB using 70ns FPM PS/2 SIMMs with
> - parity ( 33bit or 36bit parity doesn't matter - if you use 36bit it
> - only uses 33 anyway )
>
> Actaully, you can do more than that.. I've got one SPARCClassic
> that's running with 104MB of RAM (where did those 4MB sticks
> come from?) I was surprised when it reported more than 96MB.
>
> It's got a pair of 32MB sticks, a pair of 16MB sticks, and a
> pair of 4MB sticks.

Yup -- this isn't a Sun-supported config -- 96MB is documented max;
but 104MB does work (I have 2 like that myself) and I imagine we're
all well-beyond worrying about Sun support for these good little ole
boxes.  :-)

FWIW I believe the LX behaves the same way, but the IPX does not.

Cheers,
sr.
--
|| Steve Rikli             ||| Never trust a computer you can't throw  ||
|| Systems Administrator   ||| out a window.                           ||