Subject: Re: netbsd-3 and multiprocessor SS20
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/09/2007 08:36:48
On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 11:11:45PM -0700, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> I've been running netbsd-2-0 on my dual 50MHz SS20 for a couple years
> now; wondering if anybody has reports of netbsd-3 on similar hardware.

Some months ago, after a report of problems with dual SM50 configurations
with netbsd-3, I tried such a combo in one of my SS20s and experienced
problems. The machine would work fine with a single CPU, but most userland
applications would would start crashing shortly after spinning up the
second CPU. The same machine worked fine with a pair of SM85-2s and the
same CPUs worked fine with 2.1, so it looks like there may have been a
regression between -2 and -3.

FWIW, I have a pair of machines with dual SM61s that are running netbsd-3
and they're rock solid.

I should probably dig out my SM50s and see if the problem has been fixed in
-current.  If not, I can provide serial console access to anyone who wants
to look at the problem (or even send them the pair of SM50s if they don't
have).

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/