Subject: 4.0_BETA4 MP issues
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/28/2007 09:27:21
   Hey there.  Is anyone else running MP sun4m's (hypersparc's in my
case) with the netbsd-4 branch?  With kernels compiled Monday from
the netbsd-4 branch, the machine comes up just fine and runs with
GENERIC.  But, when I try GENERIC.MP, it doesn't make it to multi-
user.  This last time I got:

NetBSD 4.0_BETA2 (GENERIC.MP) #2: Mon Apr 23 15:37:17 EDT 2007
         cross@buildhost:/data/obj/NetBSD-4.sparc/data/NetBSD/src-4/
sys/arch/sparc/compile/GENERIC.MP
total memory = 191 MB
avail memory = 183 MB
timecounter: Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
bootpath: /iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,
800000/sd@3,0
mainbus0 (root): SUNW,SPARCstation-20: hostid 7279235f
cpu0 at mainbus0: mid 8: RT620/625 @ 150 MHz, on-chip FPU
cpu0: 512K byte write-back, 32 bytes/line, sw flush: cache enabled
cpu1 at mainbus0: mid 10: RT620/625 @ 150 MHz, on-chip FPU
cpu1:
telnet> send brk

   It just hangs hard there.  Sometimes I can get back to the OBP,
sometimes I can't (this time I couldn't).  Where during the kernel
attachment messages it locks is variable.  I don't know that it's
ever gotten into rc scripts, but it sometimes gets down to attaching
SCSI devices et al.  One time it was complaining about the second
CPU, but.

   So, I guess it could be a hardware problem.  Any suggestions for
testing that would be welcome as well.

   Thanks.  Just let me know if this is "known working", so I can
figure out what's breaking it for me.  :-)

                                  - Chris