Subject: Re: revamped floppy driver
To: Tobias Nygren <tnn+nbsd@nygren.pp.se>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/27/2007 03:27:54
On Aug 15,  8:44am, Tobias Nygren wrote:
} John Nemeth wrote:
} >      I used the sparc floppy driver to create a floppy driver for
} > sparc64.  I've been doing a fair bit of work on the latter, including
} > fixing the problem with formatting.  However, now it is time to find
} > out if I broke it for sparc.  I'm looking for people to test it.  All
} > you need to do is cp sys/arch/sparc64/fdc.c sys/arch/sparc/fd.c, and
} > rebuild your kernel.  Then try it out (read, write, eject, and
} > format).  To format a floppy, use fdformat, then
} > 'newfs_msdos -f 1440 /dev/rfd0a'.
}
} /u/src/sys/arch/sparc/dev/fd.c:170:1: error: "FTC_FLIP" redefined
} [...]

     I've committed fixes for all the issues.  Can you try it again,
please?

} After fixing those things, it does compile, write, read, and eject.
} I still get verify errors when formatting but this is broken on
} netbsd-4 as well. Might be the drive that is giving up the ghost.

     Prior to my fixes for the formatting issues, it would give errors
on every track and make the machine completely unresponsive for a
couple of hours or simply lock it up hard (i.e. doesn't even respond to
L1-A).  With errors on just a handful of tracks, it is most likely that
you have bad media.  There is a possibility that you have a bad drive,
but a bad drive would likely cause far more errors.  BTW, for dd, I
usually use bs=18k, which is the size of a full cylinder.

}-- End of excerpt from Tobias Nygren