Subject: Re: Nice WM for SPARCclassic
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/19/2007 20:23:00
Hi,

Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org> wrote:

> Since the classic has a cg3 onboard which is limited to 8bit colour
> and has no blitter you'll want something that's easy on the colour
> map,

Since I ran both an SS2 and an SS5 as desktop workstations some time,
I encountered exactly that problem. My solution was to run X in 8bit
grayscale mode. The downside is no colors at all anymore, the upside
is no more mocking around with colormaps. And yes, high-res grayscale
looks far better than 8bit color.

[...]

> Others will suggest things like blackbox or one of the more
> minimalist wms.

I usually run windowmaker on most of my systems. No complaints so
far. Worth another peek could be pwm, lightweight and capable of a
really nice feature that allows to "snap" windows together and access
them via tabs.

Cheers,
Chris

--