Subject: Re: X on SPARCclassic
To: Ganimede <newtoolbox@yahoo.com>
From: Ted Havelka <ted@cs.pdx.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/12/2007 12:33:32
Hello Ganimede,

Port-sparc list member Ted responding to your question.  About a year ago
I installed NetBSD 3.0 on a Sparc Classic, grabbing the pre-built binaries
from one of the FTP sites selectable from the installation CD.  The system
came up fully with X, and twvm as the window manager.  For a processor of
25MHz and 64 MB RAM I was impressed to have it all just work.

It's been a while since I popped the lid on the Classic.  Now I forget
whether that system has four SIMM slots or six.  You may be able to
upgrade to 96 MB RAM if there are six memory slots.  The Sparc LX stations
have six SIMM slots.  Not sure if this is universal, but I've observed
across Sparc Classic and LX systems that they both seem to require parity
memory.

If you're interested in obtaining some parity SIMMs and possibly a larger
hard drive (old school 50-pin SCSI I'm guessing?) you might try contacting
FreeGeek -- www.freegeek.org -- you may mention my name to them, tell them
"the Sun guy" who volunteers sent you that way.  For little more than the
cost of shipping we could send you a couple 4 GB SCSI drives and some
memtest86'd 16 MB parity SIMMs.

Take care Ganimede,

Ted Havelka                                        -   O
Portland State Aerospace Society                -   _<_\_
http://psas.pdx.edu                                W >\_
ted@cs.pdx.edu                                    ( ) ( )