Subject: questions from NetBSD sparc beginner
To: <>
From: jonathan michaels <jlm@caamora.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/06/2007 17:55:50
greetings all,

i've gotten come cables to plug the sun (sony) gdm-20e20 into my tatung
(sun) ultra 60 (this has a pair of ultraII 400 mhz cpu).

i/ve read the stuff on teh website and have found it to be helpfull
(from a programmers point ov view, but not so from a endusers
perspective, so to speak). my unix career started about 25 years ago
with a unixalike called os9 and then onto qnx then after a long break i
took up with freebsd v2.0.5-release and netbsd 0.9 i still have teh
cdrom i think.

i do understand most of teh technical diference from/between
sparc/sparc64 esentially one has  twice as many bits in teh cpu/system
buss and most systems task appear to be a lot faster than on my 32 bit
PPro and Zeon based Intel machines.

can i run sparc applications on a sparc64 built system. i have many
sparc ultraII cpu machines (ultra 60 and half dozen creatord3d machines
and netra but also some ss20's. is it possible to built a seamless
network using a mix of machines  without reference to 64 bit/not 64 bit
hardware and use just teh netbsd sparc port and forgoing some of teh
'specialties; that would be available from a a sparc64 hardware
installed with sparc64 opsystem, much like the way people use thier amd64
based machines with freebsd 32 bit operating system and applications
packages.

sorry if i not use correct mail list, this whole 64 bit thing has got
me confused, even google hasn't been very helpful .. i suppose i find
myself in teh middle ground unix beginner and systems programmer, so to
speak.

some guidance, reading directens, off list etc, would be very much
appreciated. i thought that it was going to be an easy integration,
just deliver teh machines cleanthem up plug tehm in and load teh netbsd
sparc cdrom and boot ... i wasn't prepared for teh voluminious reading
that i've got to make up to get up to speed to be comfortable with the
new fundamental diference between 32 bit and 64 bit, most interesting,
most inderesting indeed.

apologies and most kind regards, appreciations.

with thanks

jonathan