Subject: Re: wscons support for various framebuffers (questions from NetBSD sparc newbie)
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/05/2007 04:04:56
>> If it's doing bus enumeration (SBus in this case), [...]
> And what makes you think it's doing that?

Greg Woods's post, of course.

> Just read the source.

Okay, I have.

It certainly is trying to do something very much like SBus enumeration;
see the call sparcPromInit() and the loop that follows in xf86SbusProbe
and the implementations of those functions in os-support/bus/*SBus.c.
(Though this is actually just walking the device tree set up by the
PROM at POST time, it's close enough to SBus enumeration to trip my
"this is something the X server has no business doing" reaction.)

It also seems to think that bwtwos exist only at sbus, which is simply
wrong (bwtwos exist on machines that don't even *have* sbus), and is
yet another layer violation (it shouldn't care where the bwtwo is
attached; that's what kernel drivers are for).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign