Subject: Re: wscons support for various framebuffers (questions from NetBSD
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@NetBSD.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/28/2007 23:23:16
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, der Mouse wrote:

> > How does the SS20 firmware tell which frame buffer to use for the
> > console again?
>
> My understanding is that it uses the last framebuffer found during its
> POST probe.  Since it does sbus after obio, this means your bwtwo
> overrides the cgfourteen.  (Of course, this is only for
> output-device=screen; you can set it explicitly.)
>
> However, this is a guess based on observed behaviour and may well be
> wrong, possibly in multiple ways for all I know.

Can't say I've mucked around with an SS20 in a really long time,
so this information may not be accurate for such an old machine,
especially if it's using pre-3.0 OpenBoot.

OBP uses the `screen' devailias as the default display device.
This devalias can be generated either by the built in firmware,
an FCode dropin in the the graphics card ROM, or an nvalias
in the nvramrc script.

Eduardo