Subject: Re: wscons support for various framebuffers (questions from NetBSD sparc newbie)
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/28/2007 16:17:21
At Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:02:37 -0500,
Michael Lorenz wrote:

> You can do that with XFree86 as well, they have a cg14 driver but for
> lack of hardware I never tried it. It does support 24bit IIRC. My U1
> runs dual head XFree86 with two cgsix.

I REALLY dislike XFree86's philosophy of dealing with hardware.

I really want a proper kernel based framebuffer driver under X.

_Especially_ on sparc!  :-)

An ideal situation would be a sufficiently compatible framebuffer driver
to be able use a SunOS Xserver program directly, though of course
ultimately I just want to run the latest Xserver I can build from source.

I sure as heck don't want to have to use "options INSECURE" in my kernel!

Even if the framebuffer driver can't truly prevent an authorized user
from doing nasty DMA operations or other such funny business, I want to
have the proper layers in place such that there's at least a chance of
making it truly secure.

> 'screen' is a devalias pointing at the actual device node. Either add
> your own devalias or use the actual device path.

Right, of course!  Thanks!  I always forget about device aliases in the
firmware.  :-)

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>