Subject: Re: wscons support for various framebuffers (questions from NetBSD sparc newbie)
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/28/2007 15:59:11
> This would be especially nice if I could run it dual-headed with X
> too, but I guess I'd need some additional patches from der Mouse to
> get a kernel and an Xserver from xsrc-current to work with both
> framebuffers, with the cg14 in full 24-bit mode.

My patches to build an xcg14 might help, but would definitely need work
(for multiple reasons - to name just the ones that come to mind
immediately, for -current vs 1.4T and for integrating cg14 support into
Xsun - the current xcg14 does not support any non-cg14 framebuffers).

> How does the SS20 firmware tell which frame buffer to use for the
> console again?

My understanding is that it uses the last framebuffer found during its
POST probe.  Since it does sbus after obio, this means your bwtwo
overrides the cgfourteen.  (Of course, this is only for
output-device=screen; you can set it explicitly.)

However, this is a guess based on observed behaviour and may well be
wrong, possibly in multiple ways for all I know.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign