Subject: re: getty tty[a-b] doesn't work on a SS20
To: Nuno Pires <nmfp@mega.ist.utl.pt>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/03/2007 14:00:54

   > Hi,
   >
   > On my headless Sparcstation 20 I want to have a login prompt on the
   > remaining serial port. The problem is that can't put getty to work
   > neither on ttya nor ttyb. I've tested the system console on both ports
   > and it works fine. I'm using NetBSD 3.1 with GENERIC.MP kernel.
   >
   > Am I forgetting something or can this be a bug?
   >
   > My /etc/ttys file:
   > console "/usr/libexec/getty suncons"    vt102   on secure
   > ttya    "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
   > ttyb    "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown on secure

   Adding the softcar (ignore CD) flag to the corresponding tty solved the
   problem. I needed a reboot to get it to work.

   > Result from "ps aux |grep tty[a-b]" (note the ? in getty ttyb's
   > controlling terminal column):
   > root  2119  0.0  0.1  36   684 ?     I     4:50AM 0:00.14
   > /usr/libexec/getty std.9600 ttyb
   > root  2611  0.0  0.2  52   792 ttya  Is+   4:35AM 0:00.23
   > /usr/libexec/getty suncons console

   I previously tried the softcar flag, signaled init with a HUP, and
   killed the getty without controlling terminal. Even in those
   conditions, the newly created (by init) getty didn't work. A "pstat -t"
   revealed a terminal with state W where should be O. Why does this
   happen, why did I needed a reboot?

it doesn't.  however, you needed to run "ttyflags /dev/ttyb"
or so, to set this.

.mrg.