Subject: H/W Question: SCSI on U5
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/24/2006 19:38:43
Hi Folks,

Slightly OT but regarding one of my favorite NetBSD machines:

I'm running NetBSD (aside from other machines) on an old Sun Ultra 5
and it works pretty well. I use it as a Desktop Workstation.

Unfortunately, this machine doesn't have any builtin SCSI support, so
I added an Adaptec controller. The controller was detected fine, so
I'd like to abandon both the old IDE HDD and IDE CD drive. Instead I'd
like to fit a SCSI CD-RW drive and a SCSI HDD Drive.

I would like to install a fresh NetBSD-current, using the SCSI CD
drive to install on to a SCSI HDD. Will I encounter any problems?

Is Sun's OBP able to boot from a device connected to an added SCSI
controller? Is the NetBSD installer capable of detecting the HDD?

TIA, best regards and of course a merry X-Mas to all of you!

Chris

--
Q: How is "SunOS" spelled?
A: As one speaks it. With capital "S-O-S".