Subject: How to avoid a disk to start at bootup
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Laurent FAILLIE <l_faillie@yahoo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/09/2006 00:17:13
Hi,

I saved a 6 SCSI disk cabinet from trash at work and
it is now plugged to my SS5 under netbsd 2.1
It seems that disks don't start by themselve when the
cabinet is powered but will wait for a "start
command".

My conserne is it seems the boot procedure of NetBSD
wakeup all disk when doing bus scan, according to
following messages from dmesg :

sd2 at scsibus1 target 0 lun 0: <SEAGATE, ST15230N,
0638> disk fixed
sd2(esp1:0:0:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x00 00 00
00 00 00
    SENSE KEY:  Not Ready
     ASC/ASCQ:  Logical Unit Not Ready, Initialization
Command Required
     FRU CODE:  0x2

sd2: drive offline
sd2: sync (100.00ns offset 15), 8-bit (10.000MB/s)
transfers, tagged queueing
sd3 at scsibus1 target 1 lun 0: <SEAGATE, ST15230N,
0638> disk fixed
sd3(esp1:0:1:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x00 00 00
00 00 00
    SENSE KEY:  Not Ready
     ASC/ASCQ:  Logical Unit Not Ready, Initialization
Command Required
     FRU CODE:  0x2

sd3: drive offline
sd3: sync (100.00ns offset 15), 8-bit (10.000MB/s)
transfers, tagged queueing
[...]
sd2(esp1:0:0:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x00 00 00
00 00 00
    SENSE KEY:  Not Ready
     ASC/ASCQ:  Logical Unit Not Ready, Initialization
Command Required
     FRU CODE:  0x2

sd3(esp1:0:1:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x00 00 00
00 00 00
    SENSE KEY:  Not Ready
     ASC/ASCQ:  Logical Unit Not Ready, Initialization
Command Required
     FRU CODE:  0x2

sd3: no disk label

According to LEDs and noise emited by the disk
cabinet, I think disks are started by the first bus
scan.

Is there a way to avoid disks to be started ? I mean,
ok to scan the bus to discovers units, but I want my
disk stoped until I realy need them, in order to save
some power.

Actualy, I do some scsictl sd? stop after the boot,
but it's a dirty way and the boot procedure takes ages
as it waits sequentialy for disks to starts.

Thanks

Laurent

PS: Anyway, I don't understand why I have this
"Logical Unit Not Ready" message at the second scan as
disks have started.

The misspelling master is on the Web.
   _________	100 % Dictionnary Free !
 /  Dico  / /	Pleins d'autres fautes sur
(#######( /	http://destroyedlolo.homeunix.org
Quoi, des fautes d'orthographe! Pas possible ;-D.

Découvrez un nouveau moyen de poser toutes vos questions quel que soit le sujet !
http://fr.answers.yahoo.com