Subject: Sparcbook 2: WARNING: TOD clock not initialized -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: David Ross <arragon@lineone.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/31/2006 07:36:52
First an appology.  Possibly my first post, and I know that the
SparcBook 2 isn't supported by NetBSD.  But this is the closest group
I follow and most likely to know the answer.

This morning, my SparcBook failed to boot with the message "WARNING:
TOD clock not initialized -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!"  I'm not sure
what to do, and want to avoid a reinstall.  I know this is Y2K related
and so have four questions:

1. Any idea how I can get this fixed to get back up and running?
Google gets me to one link only:
http://roopesh.vectorstar.net/.lynx_bookmarks.php, but that then links
to a dead page:
http://lists.sunhelp.org/pipermail/sparcbook/2000-August/001058.html

Fortunately, I managed to find the pageabove at:
http://www.mrbill.net/pipermail/sparcbook/2000-August/000961.html

So following the steps therein, I managed to reboot.  I reset the
machine, ALT-ESC-R.
Stopped the power on checks, by pressing the <ANY> key,
then seleced 2> Boot operating system or file,
then 2> Boot alternative File.
then 1> Hard disk
then I specified vmunix -asw

But this just gets me back to where I started.

2. Of course what I really want to do is try to patch the OS I have to
support Y2K.  I'm running SunOS 4.1.3, but the SparcBook is rather odd
and normal patches won't apply I guess.  If I have to reinstall, I may
as well go for the latest supported OS I can get my hands on...

3. I have the User Guide, but pointers to any other docs would be
appreciated.

4. I assume that NetBSD was never ported to the SparcBook 2 so there
is no earlier version I could try.

Finally, this is a pointless exercise, but I'd rather like to get the
think up and running simply because it's there.

Cheers,

David

----
Note anti-spam in email address...